Thursday, July 14, 2016

How I Interact With YouTube

I have recently changed how I utilize YouTube. Previously, I just watched videos. With the exception of a few channels, I thought the whole idea of subscribing seemed pointless. I was also a bit annoyed with how many content creators requested that I subscribe to their channels, so I refused to do because I was annoyed with the constant requests. (I can be a bit of a contrarian at times.)

Recently, however, I started actually subscribing to channels that I like. I was just curious and I had heard that it helped content creators make money. (This isn't exactly true, but that was my motivation at the time.) I started subscribing to every channel that I liked and thought I might want to see more videos from. Now my feed shows me so many interesting suggestions of what to watch. YouTube has replaced much of what I used to watch previously.

My interests vary, but I watch many explicitly educational channels (ie, SciShow, CrashCourse), video game channels (ie, Projared, BrutalMoose, Extra Credits), Korean language learning channels (ie, TalkToMeInKorean), and music channels for artists I like. I have also started "liking" videos. Previously, I enjoyed the anonymity of viewing without logging in, but now I want to support the content creators whom I like.

Occasionally, I comment on videos, but I don't do it too often. I don't seem to get much feedback and YouTube comment sections often seem toxic. I mostly limit my comments to videos that don't have very many existing comments.

As far as uploading, I have only uploaded a few videos. My lack of ability to create content really makes me appreciate others for producing it.

1 comment :

  1. Interesting take on how you've shifted your youtube habits. I, too, am a reluctant follower -- and since I'm an infrequent and eclectic user, I can't figure out who I would really want to follow.

    ReplyDelete