Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Keller's ARCS Motivation Model and the EME6414 Social Media Challenges

I have really found the social media challenges very helpful during this semester. Just as discussed at the beginning of class, it is difficult to start on a blank canvas. By having challenges and having examples, it is much easier to get started.

A good example is the Google Maps challenge. Having to show where we've lived and our favorite travel spots was pretty fun. It allowed us to share something about ourselves while engaging in the Google Maps in a Web 2.0 manner. Prior to this assignment, I had only used Google Maps in a 1.0 manner. I just used it for directions.

The Diigo challenge was really simple, but it helped draw me in. I really liked how Diigo was set up. I had never heard of it before this class. Just challenging us to engage with the site when it isn't blank to begin with really helped me engage in it.

These challenges really motivate me. If we look at Keller's ARCS Model, these challenges have the potential for success. Calling it a "challenge" got my attention. The challenges are relevant to this class. Completing them builds confidence. I feel a sense of satisfaction after completing them.

I am really looking forward to the next challenge!

3 comments :

  1. I am also a fan of the challenges. It makes learning fun, while encouraging students to collaborate in a Web 2.0 flipped classroom model. I feel that this is another example of implementing education in an online environment, and using classroom techniques to fulfill similar goals.
    I agree that Google Maps encompass more than just directions. This interactive software could create interesting scavenger hunts, track paths of traffic congestion, use for analyzing current events (protests, candidates), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to keep in mind as an educator, to be learned from the Diigo site being pre-populated, etc: Users don't like entering a blanks space. They want a model or example to give them ideas for how to contribute.

    ReplyDelete