Monday, July 11, 2016

GoodReads and Reddit = A Convergence of Web 3.0 and Web 2.0

I was checking over my GoodReads account and I came across an interesting recommendation. Based on my having read 14 different books on a list of science fiction books, it recommended that I look over this list. This list was created by the users of Reddit's /r/PrintSF community. I checked out the list and many of my favorite books were ranked at the top of the list. There were also a number of books that I want to read.

This inspired me to check out the subreddit that created the list. Here, I found a thriving community where people both solicit and give advice based on their mutual interests in science fiction. For me, this represented an interesting convergence between Web 2.0 and Web 3.0. The Web 3.0 function referred me to an online community that fits my interests. I plan to read some more books on the list. Perhaps I will even talk about them through the subreddit!

4 comments :

  1. Hi Bruce,
    I firstly realized the concept of Web 3.0 a couple of years ago when I repeatedly visited Amazon. They recommended me purchase a list of some items that is created based on my previous purchase list. I was surprized because they amazingly recommended what I really wanted to buy! -- A box of JJapaghetti!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Web 3.0 never ceases to amaze me. Google can predict my searchers better than I can. I remember when it was a skill to properly format a search and using a question seemed like something only inexperienced users would do. Now questions are one of the best ways to search. I don't even bother to fix my typographic errors now.

      Delete
  2. I love the "if you like this, then try this..." function in so many platforms now! I've tried things that I probably never would've even thought about (or thought to look for) simply by scrolling through those suggestions. I'm addicted to Audible.com (I listed to books when I run...yes, I'm that big of a nerd). And, "based on my purchases", it suggested a new series that I have absolutely become totally addicted to! Plus, I got hooked on a couple of new writers that I might never have discovered ("If you liked "Gone Girl" then you might like "Girl on a Train"... yes, I did!!!) I look forward to you talking about your new discoveries through the suggestion tools! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am an audiobook addict. I listen to them while I do cardio, commute and do chores. I find that I can't focus on them once past a certain level of exertion.

      Delete