Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Periscope and Facebook Live - What is so special?

I unfortunately wasn't able to make the first Periscope meeting. I was really interested in going, but I couldn't find the official chat time that was decided until after it was posted. I did enjoy watching the recording thought. This time, I am really excited about getting to join from the comfort of my living room in Korea.

In preparation, I did practice using Periscope today. I scanned through a number of random channels. I was curious who might be streaming live from Korea. For some reason, it was all Russian people streaming from Korea in the mid-afternoon. I would feel self-conscious just talking into a cell phone with no one on the other end. Doing the VoiceThread was awkward at first, but at least I could rerecord it until I was satisfied with it.

Though I have little experience with Periscope, I have been inundated with Facebook Live notifications. I have watched a couple for a few minutes in passing, but on average, they tend to be pretty boring. I prefer edited clips. They have all the wrinkles ironed out and they're edited down to the most interesting parts.

I was curious why Facebook seems to be pushing this live thing. I did a quick search in Google to find out why Facebook is pushing Facebook Live so much. This opinion article on Mashable seems to share the same concerns about live videos that I have and expects them to go away.

1 comment :

  1. Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is overall. So many random streams, and it's not even fully interactive like chat roulette was (that had its own problems. Hmm, I'll blog on that tomorrow, I think).

    For broadcasting an event I think Periscope is useful. Even for our class, it gets silly -- we don't have a purpose other than trying it, the curiosity of seeing each other and saying hi. I will turn the stream on for you at 6:30ish on Wed eve. I send an invite to all of my contacts. No idea what it looks like on your end, but presumably you'll get a notification. See you then!

    ReplyDelete