Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Reddit's Moderation Tools

For my Produsage Assignment, I set up a subreddit about Korean Language Learning for Kids. /r/KoreanForKids. In doing so, I got to see some of the Reddit tools for moderators. I will show them below. They are not extremely user-friendly, but they do provide good tools if you know what you're doing.

Not Logged in


Logged in as Moderator
For each post, you can "
  • hide
  • delete
  • spam
  • remove
  • approve
  • lock
  • nsfw
  • ." This gives you the option of removing any posts or even locking them so they can't be edited. 

    Through the "Moderation Tools" listed on the right, I can set all sorts of different rules for the subreddit. I can set how long an account must be active before posting. I can designate monitors. I can set a style sheet to change the way things are displayed. I can lay out options for giving users "flair" that shows by their login when they post. Here are some examples:




    The traffic stats are also particularly interesting:


    Reddit also has "auto moderator." It seems pretty useful for bigger subreddits, but not worth my time to learn yet while the subreddit is so small.



    Within each post, I can delete individual comments. I can also "sticky" them. This puts them to the top and of the page so users see it first. I did this for a few of my posts when I was trying to seed some discussions.

    No comments :

    Post a Comment