Friday, August 5, 2016

Skinner Box and Social Media


Extra Credits is a great YouTube channel that explains many concepts with regards to video game design. In this episode, they explain different kinds of engagements with video games, but I think this equally applies to social media and instructional design. 

The video has two main sections. First, they they start by explaining how Skinner found that animals respond best to variable ratio reinforcement. They gave this example: Which would you prefer? To play slot machines all day and finish with $100 or push a button in a factory all day and finish with $100? These kind of Skinner-box engagements are common in games, but they can be over-used.

Social media is another great example of variable-ratio reinforcement. I post with the hope that each post will get a big response from readers. Sometimes I get it, other times nothing happens. I also check for Facebook updates WAY too often, hoping I will see something really interesting. Most of the time I don't, but sometimes I hit big!

The second half explains Skinner-box alternatives. Rather than just give you a leveling progression, they suggested the following types of engagement to replace it:
  • Mystery
  • Mastery
  • Mental Challenge
  • Narrative
  • Novelty
  • Flow
My personal theory is that we can engage learners in learning materials in similar ways that games do. You don't have to make something a video game, but if you can understand how games are engaging, you can make instruction engaging.

No comments :

Post a Comment