Tuesday, June 9, 2020

My Social Bookmarking

Reading everyone's posts about social bookmarking got me thinking: what sorts of social bookmarking do I do? I remember actively decided to bookmark fewer things in my younger years. I decided to only bookmark sites that I would want to return to. Outside of EME6414, I thought I had not been doing much bookmarking at all, but it occured to me that I have been doing it for years without realizing it.

I have confession: I am a habitual YouTube playlist maker. I love being the guy who knows about interesting YouTube videos that I can share with others. I am currently subscribed to over 700 YouTube channels, so I encounter a wide variety of videos that would be great to share with my friends and family, so I make YouTube playlists to remember which videos to show each person. I have over 500 videos in my "show wife" private playlist.

I am also a consumer of social bookmarks on reddit. Reddit uses "subreddits" as individual boards. In an expanded sense of tagging, subreddits serve as tags for content. I can check subreddits about things I am interested in and see relevant links shared by others. I most enjoy reading the comments from other users.

It is also worth noting that I actively try to limit my reddit usage. I have no reddit apps on my phone and I primarily just lurk. I get sucked into endlessly scrolling through reddittoo easy and earning "karma" is addictive. The reddit community can also be toxic and pedantic, so I choose not to engage deeply. Occasionally browsing the front page and a few subreddits that I frequent are enough for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment