Wednesday, July 27, 2016

OER Commons - Open Online Educational Resources

I checked out OER Commons today. I was pleasantly surprised with some of the things I found. I like how you can either browse through listings of different materials or to do a search.

Out of curiosity, I first searched for "Korean." As a hobby, I study the Korean language. This was the top ranked resource.

I decided to investigate it further. This online course demonstrated so many of the things we learned about it in class.

For one, it has a tagging system. It is tagged with the "Korean Culture," "Korean Grammar," "Korean Language" and "World Languages" tags. It includes and option for We discussed tagging a couple weeks ago!

OERCommons also has a rating system. Currently, this course has a perfect rating (5 stars of 5 stars). It is unclear how many people have rated it, but the site says that 13 people viewed it.

For "Conditions of Use," it uses a copyright, but it includes a link to Copyright.gov for "Fair Use by Educators."

Inside, the document includes an introduction. It was developed by U.C. Berkley. There are also sections to explain how to use the resource.

I decided to check out the lesson. It has professional quality voice acting and interactive assignments. I was really impressed. I will have to do more with this resource later. It explains the grammar and vocabulary well and it is level-appropriate for my understanding of Korean. It really surprises me how few people have used this resource considering its quality.

2 comments :

  1. Like you, I checked out OER but focused on the Web 2.0 resources. I spent the most time with the one created by Anita Boudreau - Technology for Teaching and Learning. It was very informative. In fact, I thought it included so many of the elements we have studied with Dr. Dennen. I agree with you about the quality of of the presentations. I've put this on the list of sites to recommend to my colleagues in the Ph.D. program. I've never heard any of them mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia, I am curious. How do you keep track of your list of sites to recommend to others?

      Delete